Home Remodeling in Phoenix: Tips for Increasing Your Home’s Resale Value
When considering home remodeling in Phoenix, you want to pay special attention to what will positively impact your home’s value. Many projects can increase value, but at what cost? Homeowners must make a prudent financial decision when deciding how best to remodel their homes.
In addition to the risk of home remodeling projects not providing a reasonable return on investment, some projects may actually reduce a home’s value. Shoddy construction, over-building for the neighborhood and selecting luxury projects rather than functional ones can detract from your home’s buyer appeal.
Home Remodeling in Phoenix Likely to Increase Home Value
Some considerations for getting the best return on your remodeling investment include the following recommendations:
- First, homeowners should take a hard look at their home’s exterior. The outside of your house is the first thing prospective buyers will see. If they aren’t wowed when they pull up to your home, they might not even take the time to look inside.
Therefore, homeowners should consider home remodeling in Phoenix that improves the exterior appearance of their house. Improvements here can improve your chances of a good first impression and invite prospective buyers into your home.
- Next, buyers focus on bathrooms and kitchens. These are the high-use areas of any home and should be high on your list of home remodeling projects. Things like adding a full bathroom or upgrading kitchen appliances produce attractive returns when done right.
- Adding a garage or expanding current garage space is another project that can increase value. When considering home remodeling in Phoenix, you need to think like a prospective buyer, even if you don’t plan on selling any time soon.
If you were to inspect a home for your use, wouldn’t you want sufficient parking for your cars? And, wouldn’t you be inclined to look favorably on a home with ample storage for tools and other household items?
A garage also protects your vehicles from the elements and theft. Insurance rates are typically lower when a car is parked in a garage versus on a street. Garages increase home values significantly more than carports or uncovered parking. And, often the more capacity within a garage, the more increase to home value.
- In addition, fireplaces have become common in many homes, especially gas models. This home remodeling in Phoenix project is relatively easy to complete in most homes and doesn’t necessarily need to cost an arm and a leg!
- Finally, laundry rooms located on main floors is a major plus for many buyers. Trekking up and down stairs with a laundry basket gets old very fast for many homeowners!
Home Remodeling in Phoenix Not Likely to Increase Home Value
If you want to increase the value of your home through remodeling, remember not to increase your home’s value more than 15 to 20 percent of the most expensive home in your area. Any more than that and you risk not recovering your investment or having buyers look elsewhere.
Some projects to consider more carefully for home remodeling in Phoenix include:
- Although swimming pools may seem like a necessity in Arizona, but they typically don’t add much to the resale value of your home. If a pool is something you absolutely must have, find a home with one already constructed. Although a pool can be a major selling point for some people, the homeowner unfortunately will not recoup the installation cost in most instances.
- Pay careful attention to any home remodeling in Phoenix that’s purpose is more luxury than function. For example, tennis courts may put your home on the higher-end, but they won’t allow you to recoup your expenses at the time you sell.
Home remodeling in Phoenix can pay big dividends in terms of home value – when done right. It starts with selecting the right project, then the right contractor. It’s important to take the time to completely research your project and contractor to ensure you get the biggest boost to your home’s resale value.
For more information on remodeling your home, contact Republic West Remodeling today!