How to Find the Most Qualified Kitchen Remodeling Contractor in Phoenix
You’ve finally decided you can’t look at your outdated kitchen any longer and need to find a kitchen remodeling contractor in Phoenix pronto. But how do you find the best one? Since your project is no small task – you’re changing the room’s layout and adding new features, appliances, fixtures, cabinets, flooring and more to make this the kitchen you always wanted – you need a proven professional company that can deliver to your expectations.
It won’t matter how high-end your appliances or fixtures are, if your kitchen remodeling contractor in Phoenix isn’t up to the task, your project could turn into a nightmare. By following these six recommendations, you can increase the odds of getting a contracting company that will provide excellent workmanship and service.
1. Find a kitchen remodeling contractor in Phoenix with a solid track record and great reputation. You’ll want to make a list of several candidates to compare for your project. Industry standing is a good place to start weeding out potential contractors.
Online reviews help streamline the search process. Angie’s List, the Better Business Bureau and the Registrar of Contractors contain valuable information. Although Angie’s List requires a paid membership, the candid reviews could save you from making a big mistake.
The Better Business Bureau identifies complaints, resolutions and overall business status. The Registrar of Contractors provides licensing information, complaints filed and any actions taken against contractors.
This crucial first step also includes getting recommendations from a variety of sources, including family, friends, neighbors and other professionals. Find out about industry associations and then check memberships for a kitchen remodeling contractor in Phoenix. Check to see if a local contractor has been recognized for their work or highlighted in the media.
During this step, you should be able to narrow down your list to between three and five possible contractors. You can then begin a more thorough investigation of each one. Make sure to request references from every kitchen remodeling contractor in Phoenix you’re considering.
What do you want to learn from these reference checks? A wealth of information! You want to know about the quality of each contractor’s work, as well as their ability to meet schedules, keep the site clean, stay within budget, communicate effectively, and act professionally, among other things.
2. Make sure a kitchen remodeling contractor in Phoenix has ample experience. Chances are good if you find a contractor with a great reputation, the company will also be experienced. It would be hard for any company to earn a good standing within the industry without being appropriately skilled.
However, a good rule of thumb is to find a company that’s been in business for at least five years – more is better. Since contracting is a field that can be more sensitive to economic ups and downs, a company with longevity in the marketplace bodes well for its experience and stability.
3. A kitchen remodeling contractor in Phoenix must hold the proper license and insurance. The Registrar of Contractors should confirm licensing. Other state websites can help clarify contractor regulations.
Also, don’t trust what a contractor tells you. Ask for a copy of all license and insurance documents. Without confirmation of these credentials, you could be opening yourself up to legal nightmares and unexpected costs.
4. Get a warranty from your kitchen remodeling contractor in Phoenix for all workmanship and materials. And, make sure every agreement is in writing and included in the contract. If you don’t understand the coverage, have it explained by someone who does. Hire an attorney if you need to – it’s that important!
5. Get a complete estimate. Estimates are part of the business. Every reputable kitchen remodeling contractor in Phoenix expects to provide a free, written estimate that details schedules and costs. The contractor must visit your home and talk with you at length to fully understand your project before providing an accurate estimate.
During this visit, you should be able to ask the contractor all the questions you have concerning your project. The contractor should be able to answer your questions patiently, directly and honestly. How each contractor communicates with you will tell you a lot about the company.
Selecting a kitchen remodeling contracting in Phoenix can be time consuming. But the time and effort you invest in finding the best qualified company will be well worth it when your contractor delivers your new kitchen exactly as you expected.