Pre-Holiday Remodeling — Do’s and Don’ts
Everyone wants their home to look and function perfectly for them and their guests. That’s why good entertainment space is usually high on the wish list of many new home buyers. Kitchens, bathrooms, living rooms, guest accommodations and outdoor spaces are all important areas when you have visitors, especially during the holiday season.
Preparing your home for holiday entertaining can be a fun and rewarding experience, if you follow some basic guidelines. The following list outlines important “Do’s” and “Don’ts” to consider before you begin a holiday remodeling project.
Things to Do for Pre-Holiday Remodeling:
- DO consider everything you’ll having going on in your life between now and the first of January. Can you take on a remodeling project with your current obligations? Do you have the time to work with your contractor?
Remodeling can be stressful. Your home may be in disarray during construction. You may not have access to certain parts of the house. And you’ll have strangers in your home for extended periods. So, make sure you can handle these drawbacks.
You still have time to create the home of your dreams before your holiday guests arrive. However, think long and hard about whether you can deal with this during the time leading up to the holidays. If you’ll be consumed with other holiday projects, you may want to hold off on remodeling until the first of the year when you may have more time to devote it.
- DO evaluate your home carefully to determine what projects would have the most impact from an entertaining standpoint. What will make your hosting job easier and less stressful? What changes can you make to enhance your guests’ experiences? In other words, compare how your home currently functions for you and your guests to how you would like it to function.
For example, if you’re cooking a meal for many guests, how can your kitchen better serve you? Do you have the right layout and appliances to work efficiently? Can you store all the extra holiday items you’ll need?
What about space for your guests? You need to make sure everyone is comfortable during their stay. So, evaluate traffic flow, bathroom facilities, guest rooms, living areas, outdoor areas and dining areas.
- DO think about holiday ambiance. You want your guests to enjoy this special time of year and have a memorable experience in your home.
If you look at your home objectively, you can determine how to change the function to increase comfort. But, you also want to consider how it looks and feels. Is your design outdated? Can you easily and effectively accommodate your holiday décor to create an inviting holiday atmosphere?
- DO your homework and hire the right remodeling contractor. With the holidays just around the corner, you can’t afford to experience any set-backs. Is this really the time to take a chance on a contractor?
To make sure your remodeling project is delivered just as you expected and in time for your holiday guests, take the time to thoroughly evaluate prospective remodeling companies. Although you may feel rushed to get your project underway so it’s finished in time, don’t skip the critical evaluation step.
A reputable contractor will not take on a project it can’t complete within your time frame. They won’t say yes to your every request just to get the job, and then not deliver. The last thing you want is a house under construction when your guests arrive.
So, get referrals. Spend the appropriate amount of time reviewing the qualifications of each prospective remodeling company. Interview them carefully. Then check references thoroughly.
Things NOT to Do for Pre-Holiday Remodeling:
- DON’T wait until the last minute. If you want to make some changes to your home in time for the holidays, get started as soon as possible. Even during the fall months, you still have time to complete many projects. A good remodeling contractor will be honest with you about what they can and can’t accomplish by your deadline.
Also, keep in mind how long it will take to order fixtures and materials. For example, if you want special-order Italian marble or high-end gourmet fixtures for your kitchen, the lead-time may affect your schedule. Keep in mind too that delivery times during the holiday season are usually longer.
- DON’T get carried away. With the holidays fast approaching, you only have a limited amount of time for remodeling projects. So, don’t bite off more than you can chew. If you want the kitchen of your dreams, you may have to do your remodeling project in stages.
For example, if you want to remodel your kitchen by adding new cabinets, installing new appliances and updating your design, you can realistically begin this project in October and finish it in time for Thanksgiving. However, if you want to gut your kitchen and do a complex renovation that changes the size and flow of your space, you may not be able to finish it within that same time frame.
Here’s where a well-qualified remodeling contractor can help. Some companies are very experienced at doing complicated projects within short schedules. They’ve perfected the entire remodeling process so they can complete projects in shorter amounts of time. So, if the scope of your project is extensive and you want it done in time for the holidays, it’s absolutely critical you find a reputable contractor with experience delivering within tight schedules.
- DON’T focus only on price. Everyone wants to get work done for the least amount of money. But, does “you get what you pay for” ring a bell? A simple Internet search will uncover horror stories from homeowners about remodeling projects gone bad.
Since you want your project done in time for holiday entertaining, do you really want to take a risk with your contractor selection? To avoid the all-to-common remodeling nightmare, focus first on qualifications during your evaluations. Make sure your contractor has done your type of project many times before and they have references to back up their work.
After you’ve determined the most qualified candidates, then you can compare pricing. If a bid seems too high, you can discuss possible changes to your project that will bring the price down. For example, you may be able to lower costs by selecting less expensive materials. A good contractor will work within your budget and provide sound guidance on the various trade-offs you can make.
- DON’T forget to consider your outdoor space. If you need extra space for entertaining guests, creating an outdoor entertaining area can be the perfect solution. Arizona winters are mild and pleasant, which any out-of-town guests will especially enjoy.
However, keep in mind night temperatures can still drop to uncomfortable levels in the desert. So, make sure you consider installing outdoor fireplaces, fire pits and space heaters. You always want appropriate enclosures to protect from the elements, as well as proper lighting for safety.
Your outdoor space can be remodeled to include dining areas, an outdoor kitchen, conversation pits, recreational areas and more. Whatever you do inside, you can move outside – with the right amenities to ensure comfort and safety.
The holiday season is a favorite time of year for many people. It’s when you can connect with family and friends to create special memories. If you love to entertain during the holidays, consider remodeling to make your home all it can be for you and your guests. With the right contractor on-board, you’ll be able to transform your home in time for Thanksgiving dinner!
Working with a Remodeling Contractor
To ensure your home remodeling project for the holidays delivers everything you expected, take extra care in selecting your remodeling contractor. You want a proven professional who can complete work promptly, manage costs effectively and solve any problems that may surface during your project.
Republic West Remodeling makes the home addition remodeling process as painless as possible. With over 18 years in business, we’ve learned a thing to two about how to efficiently complete projects to every customer’s expectation. And our testimonials, references and track record back this up.
We’ve also developed the Dream Assurance Plan™, a custom remodeling process that strives to deliver a pleasant experience and a successful outcome for our customers. We’re determined to transform the expectations that every remodeling project will be a nightmare.
The Dream Assurance Plan includes three concepts:
- Design & Visualization
- Cost Certainty
- Time Certainty
Republic West Remodeling assures your custom remodeling project will be as you visualized throughout the entire process – from creative design to detailed planning to execution and construction.